Congratulations to the 2020 Nominees!
ALTERNATIVE RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Blues Recording of the Year
COUNTRY RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Running Out of Borrowed Time
| | |
EDM RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Do or Die (Original Mix)
| | |
| | |
FOLK RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Group OF THE YEAR
Baritone Madness was formed by Pat Belliveau, Keith O’Rourke, and Gareth Bane to bring the magic of the baritone saxophone to audiences across North America. A highly unique configuration, the quintet is comprised of three baritone saxophonists as leads – each highly accomplished musicians, supported by a rhythm section of double bass (Kodi Hutchinson) and drums (Tyler Hornby). These players have captivated audiences through their inventive originals and thoughtful arrangements of music by Gerry Mulligan, Pepper Adams, and Hamiett Bluiett that complement the low range of the baritone sax. As a group they have been playing together for enthusiastic audiences since they began in February of 2016.
In summer 2019, they took to the road to share their new music with fans at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, TD Ottawa Jazz Festival, and TD Edmonton International Jazz Festival. Mid-September saw the release of their self-titled album. They earned the #1 spot on the Canadian jazz radio charts for three months straight, resulting in #5 nationally for all of 2019. The album has seen a host of rave reviews including a full page in Montreal’s Le Devoir and feature play with interview on ICI Musique, and climbed the US campus charts reaching #7.
A Fire Walked Into The Forest And Said…
Significant Accomplishments (2018):
- We recorded and released our 1st 6 song Ep that was released on music platforms
- We toured successfully across Canada to Halifax and back, making a profit.
- We are now played on over 100 different satellite radio stations across the world!
- We played to over 800 children to raise awareness on bullying. (www.facebook.com/positivevibesforkids)
- Indie Rock Network has named us top band in many different categories including best female vocals and best guitar licks
Fighting For You
Northern Quarter had quite the amazing 2019. As well as the YYC Music Award nomination, the group were invited to be filmed at Union Hall in Edmonton as part of The Moment, a yet-to-be-released TV show profiling the best of Albertan music. The Moment
The band did their first gigs in Calgary at The Blind Beggar, opening for Erwin Vesper, to highly appreciative crowds.
A Canada Day appearance on the top deck of a converted London Bus in Canmore (PD3) was a particular highlight for the group. This party style event is now turning into a tradition!
In addition, Northern Quarter opened for Shred Kelly at artsplace in Canmore in September. Being big fans of the band, this was an amazing experience, in the middle of a snowstorm!
Also they had an incredible night in the unusual loft location of Canmore's BLAKE bar for their annual Industry Night
The band were thrilled to include Geoff Hilhorst from JUNO nominated band 'The Deep Dark Woods' on their latest single 'Fighting For You', which received some acclaim and airtime on CBC Calgary's Homestretch show, and CBC Saskatoon's afternoon show . The single received positive reviews, including Great Dark Wonder, and has been included on some notable Spotify playlists as well as Birch Street Radio and The Colorado Phil show
With a new album being recorded and dates at Canmore Folk Festival and Banff Mountain music festival to be confirmed, 2020 is shaping up to be even more exciting!
Redline Trio featuring Steve Hudson
- Celebrating three years (March 2017 - March 2020) weekly residency at Best of Calgary-winning cocktail bar Betty Lou's Library https://www.jazzyyc.com/jazz-events/the-redline-trio/
- Track record of performance with influential Juno-winning musicians Brad Turner, Brandi Disterheft, David Braid, Mike Rud https://theyyscene.com/2019/02/04/juno-winning-jazz-artist-brandi-disterheft-as-serious-as-it-gets/
- Featured artists in JazzYYC Canadian festival with Calgary Poet-Laureate Sheri-D Wilson and best-selling NY author/poet Quincy Troupe https://sheridwilson.com/2019/11/a-night-of-seduction-feat-quincy-troupe-sheri-d-wilson-the-redline-trio-2/
- Invitation to perform at 2020 versions of Jazz Plaza (Cuba) Edmonton JazzYYC and Medicine Hat Jazz Festivals (prior to COVID)
- Capacity audiences for cd release shows at King Eddy and artsPlace Canmore
- Debut at #5 on National Jazz Charts week of March 31 (https://earshot-online.com/charts/index.cfm?intChartTypeID=105)
- National airplay on CBC Saturday Night Jazz with Laila Biali
- Feature live performance/interview on Breaking the Tethers - CJSW
- Feature article - Eric Volmers Calgary Herald - https://calgaryherald.com/entertainment/music/redline-trio-find-inspiration-from-serene-mountainous-backdrop-of-banff-centre-for-debut/
- Feature article - Chelsey Kemp Rocky Mountain Outlook - https://www.rmotoday.com/mountain-guide/redline-trio-release-debut-record-at-artsplace-2065548
- Pre-recorded feature performance artsPlace Canmore Online - https://artsplacecanmore.com/whats-on/details/redline-trio-online
- Fall 2020 tour of Alberta and BC including Sunshine Coast, Frankies (Vancouver) Hermanns (Victoria) Lighthouse (Nanaimo)
- Appearances at various YYC venues in 2019/20 including Mikey's on 12th, Lolitas, Cliff Bungalow, Kawa, Ironwood, NVRLND
City of Contrast - Glass Hands
| | |
Awards and Achievements
- Awarded YYC Music Awards' People's Choice Award (September 22, 2019)
- Nominated for the YYC Music Awards' Zackariah and the Prophets Emerging Artist Award (July 26, 2019)
- Finalist in the 2019 Calgary Stampede Talent Search (July 14, 2019)
Festival and Notable Performances
- Performed at the Okotoks Christmas Food Bank Fundraiser (December 10 and 11, 2019)
- Headlined at The 2019 Priddis and Millarville Fair (August 17, 2019), Ironwood Stage & Grill (August 4, 2019), King Eddy (August 2, 2019), Blind Beggar Pub (June 29, 2019) , and Off The Rails 2019 (June 15, 2019).
- Co-Headlined at Divergent Fest (August 3, 2019)
- Opened up for Matt Blais (July 1, 2019)
- Headlined a sold-out show at Flare n' Derrick (June 15, 2019)
- Performed at VegFest 2019 (June 15, 2019) and the 2019 Black Diamond Discovery Day (June 1, 2019)
- Featured Artist for CBC's TV Production: Still Standing (November 21, 2019) (Set to air in 2020)
- "Taken by Sanity Win People’s Choice Award" Gateway Gazette (October 2, 2019)
- "Local band wins YYC Music Award for People’s Choice" Emily Rogers, The Chestermere Anchor City News (September 30, 2019)
- "Taken By Sanity nabs People's Choice Award" Tammie Rollie, Okotoks Today (September 24, 2019)
- Live Radio Interview: CKUV-FM 100.9 The Eagle w/ Logan Coutts (September 24, 2019)
- "Foothills singer/songwriters nominated for YYC Music Awards" Tammie Rollie, Okotoks Today (September 15, 2019)
- "Local band to celebrate album release with live performance" Emily Rogers, The Chestermere Anchor City News (June 3, 2019)
- "Check Out the Top 10 Finalists of Searchlight 2019: Local Band Makes the Cut!" Gateway Gazette (March 7, 2019)
- Radio play on CBC's Daybreak Alberta (Sleepwalker, 03/03/2019 08:10)
- Radio play on CKUA-FM 94.5 FM (Sleepwalker)
- Radio play on CJSW-FM 90.9 FM (Sleepwalker, Glass Hands, Raspberry Lemonade, and Paper Thoughts) (Multiple Dates)
- Over 11,500 online streams from all over the world
Other Notable Achievements
Industry Person OF THE YEAR
Pat McGannon – PM Gigs
Inspirational Recording of the Year
Outside Looking In
| | |
Jazz RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Metal RECORDING OF THE YEAR
Music Video OF THE YEAR
Miesha & The Spanks
Ryan Leason, Tyler Wong, Kyle Scott
Noah & Lazy
People's Choice Award
Pop Recording OF THE YEAR
R&B/Soul Recording OF THE YEAR
Rap Recording OF THE YEAR
Recording Studio OF THE YEAR
Audio House Recording Studio
Ian Dillon (Calgary Recording Company, National Music Centre, Canadian Vinyl Records)
Reluctant Cowboy Music
Rock Recording OF THE YEAR
Single OF THE YEAR
Solo Artist OF THE YEAR
Going Down (Live off the Floor) [Ft. The Flat Whites]
- Over 210 performances across Canada in 2019
- Finalist in Project WILD Country Artist Development - 2019
- Alberta Country Music Awards - Top 10 Nominee
- Sold out King Eddy Headlining Show - February 2020
- Sold out show in Red Deer, AB w/ Aaron Pritchett
- National news coverage performance w/ Afroman https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/afroman-calgary-airport-busker-devin-cooper-1.5031873
- Announced as performer at 2020 Rockin' River Festival (Merritt, BC) - Cancelled
- 2019 ACMA Fan Fest Performance
- Heather May's latest album has tracks which have been featured on CBC, CKUA, and CJSW radio stations on multiple occassions. These tracks include "Mark's Song," and "Track Two."
- Created a website with a press kit, artist bio, links to social media, and a write up on the process of creating, and context of, Heather May's most recent release "For Mark." Website can be found here: https://www.heathermaymusic.com/
- The album release of "For Mark" (independently organized by Heather May) held at Knox united Church had an audience of over 85 people.
- "For Mark" was featured in Local Drop Magazine along with an interview with Heather May (July 2019). Link not accessible due to Local Drop's recent fallout.
- In the past year Heather May played at numerous prominent venues including The King Eddy and Knox United Church. *Emails to confirm this can be offered, along with social media photos as well.
Meant for Me
Significant Accomplishments (2018):
- Right Choice is featured in the 2020 World Creative City Summit Promotional Video
- It’s real is included in CJSW Live Session compilation CD for 2020
- Meant for Me, Released June 2019
- Meant for Me, 250,000 streams on Spotify
- Nominated - four categories 2019 YYC Music Awards Female Artist of the Year, Songwriter of the Year, Pop Song of the Year and RnB/Soul Artist of the Year
- RnB/Soul Artist of the Year (2019) YYC Music Awards
- Standout & featured 10 Soul Female artists to watch in CBC Searchlight 2020
- Female Artist of the Year (2018) YYC Music Awards
- The Zackariah and the Prophets Memorial Award (2018) YYC Music Awards
- Soloists for the 2019 Calgary Stampede Marching Band field show - World Marching Band Champions 2019
- First Place Niagara TD Jazz Festival Youth Category (2019), featured performer during the festival and private shows
- Finalist Ship and Anchor Song Contest (2019)
- SOCAN Foundation for Young Canadian Songwriters Award (2018)
- Outstanding Achievement in Songwriting, Great American Songwriting Contest (2019)
- Semi Finalist International Songwriting Competition (2019) “Meant for Me”
- Finalist in the International Acoustic Songwriting Music Awards (2019) “Meant for Me”
- Co-wrote Next to the Fire with Ellen Doty for her annual Fundraiser
- One of 15 artists chosen for the Alberta Music 35th Anniversary Tour, Canmore
- Performing SoundOff Summit 2020, Calgary
- Canada Music Week 2019 Showcase at Painted Lady, Toronto
- Stampede City Sessions- featured with Dino Martinis 25th Anniversary aired on KSPN
- Chosen & featured on television show for The Moment 2019
- Performed in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia
- Performed Festivals, Events, Private functions, Fundraisers
- Supported Nuella Charles
- Supported Lissie
- Radio, Television and Broadcast News Program, SAIT, Class of 2022, Calgary
- Canada Music Incubator Artist Entrepreneur Program (2018), Toronto
- Prophets of Music Emerging Artist Program (2018) Calgary
KATE STEVENS- uniquely her own
Canadian Kate Stevens is a dynamic RnB singer/songwriter based in Calgary, Alberta. Her sound is a diverse blend of 70’s easy listening soul/RnB with hints of jazz that showcase her powerful vocals. She is a community builder, collaborator and supporter for youth musicians.
With almost 250,000 streams on Spotify, her song Meant for Me (released June 2019) is the A side of this dual track release. The full single was recorded and produced by Juno award-winning musician/producer Russell Broom and in partnership with the team at OCL studios & the Prophets of Music Emerging Artist Program. Stevens’ storytelling & rich vocals create the scene and the listener can feel the emotions of a sweet romance or the heat of a sultry summer night. Meant for Me the acoustic version (Side B) was recorded with Kevin Miekle while attending Canada’s Music Incubator program. Stevens launched two singles in 2018 It’s real and Right Choice and her debut EP, Handmade Rumours was released in 2017.
Stevens has gained valuable experience performing in Ontario, AB and BC at festivals and shows. She performs as a soloist, duo, trio, with her band and with other projects. One of 15 artists chosen to perform for the Alberta Music 35th Anniversary Tour concert series, Stevens also part of Calgary’s 2020 SoundOff Summit which showcases a diversity of export-ready Calgary artists to national and international industry delegates. She was featured as an artist on the television series “The Moment”, a guest on the Stampede City Sessions, Dino Martini’s 25-anniversary show and has supported many artists including Nuella Charles, Lissie, David Beckham and Daniel Romano. She is currently looking at touring opportunities within Canada and Europe
Connector, Mentor & Collaborator
As the Creator & Artistic Director for Youth Musicians of Music Mile Alliance (YOMOMMA) Kate has honed her leadership skills over the past 5 years. This organization, founded by Stevens, promotes connections, mentorship & performance opportunities for aspiring youth musicians in Calgary.
Kate Stevens - passionate for how we share the arts.
Kate Stevens collaborated with Ellen Doty on a new song "Next to the Fire" for Doty’s 3rd annual coffee charity project. Monogram Coffee created a unique roast, “Next to the Fire” and a download of the song was included with the purchase. $5 from each bag went to The Mustard Seed. Made by Marcus also joined in and created a “Next to the Fire” ice cream flavor. This fundraiser was in Calgary and Edmonton.
Kate volunteers on the Calgary Stampede adjudication board for the Western Legacy Awards and she sits on the Music Mile YYC board as the YOMOMMA representative. She remains the Alberta Representative for the Youth 4 Music National Advisory Council, an organization focusing on music education for youth. (Coalition of Music) She is involved in organizing the 2020 Music Monday Celebration on May 4th at the National Music Centre in Calgary.
- Performed at University of Calgary, UCalgaryStrong Festival, May 2019, Prophets of Music
- Performed at the Mental Health Association Fundraiser, Wild Project, The Ironwood Grill & Bar 2019
- Neurological rehab music therapy performance at Foothills hospital 2020
- “Kate Stevens Is Meant For Music”
- CBC Dayybreak Alberta, Russ Bowers
- Right Choice is featured in the 2020 Creative City Summit Promotional Video
- Stampede City Sessions Dino Martinis’ 25th anniversary
- The Blue Jay Café, Live performance “Next to the Fire” Ellen Doty/Kate Stevens
- “Next to the Fire” Featuring Kate Stevens (Mustard Seed fundraiser)
- Music Monday video 2018
In Shadow and Light
Single "Everything Connected" streamed on Sirius XM, Canadian stations across Canada (such as X92.9, CBC, CKUA, Roundhouse Radio), as well as campus stations.
Album released on limited edition vinyl, CD, and digital streaming platforms.
Album, song, video reviews: The Spill, Beatroute, The Calgary Herald, Exclaim!, The YYScene, and more.
Performances on Global, CTV, and various radio stations
“The Moment” - iLink Media
“Stage 6” - Song Sync - Independent Film
- Notable Live Performances
Cavalry Football Club Halftime Show - Spruce Meadows - Calgary, AB
Canada Games - Red Deer, AB
Album Release Party - The Rec Room Calgary
Chesterfest - Prince Albert, SK
Longstock - Longview, AB
Jam Rock Festival - Calgary, AB
Revelstoke Summer Street Fest - Revelstoke, BC
Waynestock - Drumheller, AB
Off Country - CCMA's - Calgary, AB
Grey Cup Airport Welcome events - Calgary, AB
as well as multiple western Canadian tours and headlining shows.
-I only released my first single in August 2019 and have already headlined 2 shows in Calgary, performed in Lethbridge and have worked with numerous well known Canadian and American artists
- I have been featured on CHUO 89.1 FM radio in Ottawa, Underground Radio C in Calgary and Masterclass radio in Calgary
-I have had numerous blog write ups about me including "Keep Walking Music"
- I have been a featured artist at Rec The Mic Vol. 12 by 10 x 10
- I have a write up (being done next weekend March 20) in the Calgary Guardian online magazine
-I feel I'm one of few artists who prides myself on wanting to collab with other local artists
-I've found it difficult to find local artists that support each other and I want to change that for YYC
-I have been a poet since age 7 and i write every word of my music myself
Songwriter OF THE YEAR
Next to the Fire
Next to the Fire
Meant for Me
Meant for Me
Venue/Presenter OF THE YEAR
Blind Beggar Pub
Matt Masters - Curbside Concerts
Mike Clark - Mikey's on 12th Avenue
World/Cultural Recording OF THE YEAR
Rosas y lirios (Roses & lilies)
| | |